Artwork for Lucy Baxendale
'Perpetual' Porcelain sculpture
Stackable monster planters
'With horns' Porcelain sculpture
Monster egg cups
Porcelain monster planters
Sculptural porcelain vases
'Many Heads' Porcelain sculpture
I make whimsical sculptures and homeware inspired by imaginary worlds. My sculptures begin life as automatic drawings in my sketchbook and I am obsessed with how you translate a 2D drawing into a 3D form and challenge myself to build ever more elaborate structures using porcelain. I stain these pieces to reflect the nature of a sketch.
My homeware range is a quest to bring fun to function and I am always thinking of different functional items I can make with my own spin on them. I make stackable monster planters, juicers with faces and creatures that will hold your incense for you. This range is ever increasing!
I think being an Artist to me is best summed up by this David Bowie quote - "Always remember that the reason that you initially started working was that there was something inside yourself that you felt that if you could manifest it in some way, you would understand more about yourself and how you co-exist with the rest of society"
I'm a ceramicist, illustrator & community artist.
Aside from my personal practice I teach short courses in ceramics at Cabalva Ceramics, Hereford College of Arts and occasionally from my own studio. I do client illustration work, predominately for arts charities and large murals for local businesses. I have been involved in a few different community arts based projects including 'The Big Bonkers Project' which involved working with a musician & an engineer to produce a machine made from recycled materials that produced music when cycled.
-‘These are a few of my favourite things’ , Unit Twelve Gallery, Staffordshire Jan – May
- Solo show at Compact Contemporary, August
- Showcase at Manchester Art Gallery, September
- Christmas show, Imagine Gallery, Suffolk December - January
- ‘Rockfield Arts: Into a new decade’ Apple Store Gallery, Hereford, Jan – March
- ‘Rockfield Arts’ Applestore Gallery, Hereford, Jan- Feb
- Guest potter at Potters, Bristol, Feb – March
- Emerging Artist Awards exhibition, Creates Gallery Monmouth, Feb – March
-The Biscuit Factory Foundation Open Contemporary Young Artist Award , Biscuit Factory Newcastle. May – August
- Hereford Art week Prize winner exhibition, Old Mayors Parlour, Hereford, September
- Great Northern Contemporary craft fair, October,
- MADE Brighton, November
The Courtyard shop, Hereford
Manchester Art Gallery
Leeds Craft & Design Centre
Red Door Gallery, Edinburgh